Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Where to begin?

I've just discovered the world of baking blogs. I was looking for something fabulous to bake for my little sister's birthday. I don't remember how I stumbled across it, but here is what I found: http://thecrepesofwrath.wordpress.com/2008/07/30/filbert-gateau-with-praline-buttercream/. Um, wow.

I discovered that this incredible looking cake was the result of a Daring Bakers Challenge. Baking challenge??!! Endless blogs on baking??!! I was instantly intrigued. I combed through some of the other Daring Bakers' blogs, and I found some really great stuff. I love baking, always have. I remember back to my first solo attempt at baking in middle school. I made chocolate chip cookies out of a kids cookbook, which is probably still sitting in the cookbook rack at my mom's house. I've been cooking ever since! I love to cook pretty much anything (except seafood, blech), but baking is my specialty... and I love a challenge.

So, my goal with this blog is to challenge myself and to share my favorite recipes! I will try out recipes from other baking blogs, hopefully take part in Daring Bakers Challenges, and post my favorite recipes from over the years. It will mostly be baked goods, although you might see the occasional savory recipe as well! I've always toyed with the idea of leaving my comfortable, safe desk job to open my own bakery. I hope this can be my outlet for cooking, since such a dramatic career change would be unwise in our current economy.

Oh... if you are wondering about the blog name, my other hobby is triathlons. I've been competing in this sport for a few years now. I started competitive swimming young, took up running in high school, and in 2006 decided that biking wouldn't be too much of a stretch. After my first triathlon, Mooseman International, I was hooked. I've done several more races since then, including an Ironman at Lake Placid in July of 2008. Ironman was an incredible experience, but the training left little to no time for my other passions. So, I am back to shorter distances and a fuller life!

Most endurance athletes would consider baking a no-no (including my coaches). Low bodyfat and all that nonsense. I do strive to eat very well for the most part, however I allow room for splurging. Lean meats, fruits, veggies, and nuts make up my base diet. But I squeak in some goodies every now and then, especially when baking! I am able to keep it in balance. Everything in moderation... and 10-15 hours a week of triathlon training helps.

First post will be a review on that yummy Filbert Gateau!!

No comments: