Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My first, unofficial, challenge


As I mentioned before, I found this cake that I just had to make for my sister's birthday. This was an old Daring Baker's Challenge. Since I am hoping to join that group soon, I'll consider the baking of this cake as a warm-up! I didn't take many photos, unfortunately. Next time, I will be sure to have my camera handy.

I checked out many of the Daring Bakers' Filbert Gateau cakes, but I just loved Sydney's tall, fluffy cake yet intensely creamy frosting version. So, I modeled mine after hers. My process looked very similar to hers! Check her page for photos and for the recipes/instructions.

My notes:
-I doubled everything
-I made this cake for a Friday night dinner. I began cooking it on Wednesday night. It took a few hours on Wednesday, Thursday, AND Friday to cook, assemble, and clean up after! Man, I went through a lot of dishes for this!
-I used the substitute simple buttercream. I added more praline paste than called for, I think that the simple buttercream makes more frosting than the Swiss buttercream and so it needs more praline paste. I just kept adding the paste until I felt like the taste was strong enough. It got a bit crunchy, which I thought was weird (maybe I didn't process the brittle long enough?), but my family loved it.
-I used a combination of raspberry and strawberry preserves. This was an accident, but it worked just fine.
-I loved what Sydney did with her cake by piping praline buttercream all over the outside. I didn't have enough frosting left for that, so I just piped the buttercream all along the sides of the cake, and left the top alone. I kind of liked the effect!




I really enjoyed this cake. I had leftover ganache, so I heated that up and passed it with the cake. If you like hazlenuts, you will love this cake! I might experiment with a more chocolately version next time.

No comments: