Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The best broccoli of your life

One of the great things about having connected with the BTT SCD bakers is the recipe swapping. Krista sent along this article which is a review of a Roasted Broccoli recipe by The Barefoot Contessa (Ina Garten). This is some truly amazing broccoli! Can't wait to try it again!



From The Barefoot Contessa

4 to 5 pounds of broccoli
6.5 Tbs olive oil
1 1/2 tsps kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
4 Garlic Cloves, peeled and sliced
1 lemon
3 Tbs toasted pine nuts
1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese (I just used enough for a very light sprinkle. Broccoli is supposed to be healthy afterall)
2 Tbs julienned fresh basil (optional)

1) Preheat the Oven to 425
2) Put the broccoli on a cookie sheet. Toss with 5 tbs olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic slices. (I eyeballed the olive oil ratio since I don't think I had 4-5 lbs worth of broccoli and didn't want it drenched in oil. Just wanted a very light coating)
3) Roast in the oven 20 to 25 minutes, until "crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned."
4) Take it out of the oven. Zest the lemon over the broccoli, squeeze the lemon juice over the broccoli, add 1.5 Tbs more olive oil (I skipped this), pine nuts, and Parmesan Cheese. Add basil if desired.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

This sounds really good. Broccoli is a staple in my house, and dressing it up like that looks delicious!

Grace said...

I agree - the absolute best broccoli I've ever had. I could just eat that for dinner...

Question - do faithful readers get to put in requests for recipes? How about healthy-ish scones? :-)

Mer said...

Hmm... I'm always up for a challenge!! I'll see what I can come up with :)