Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Gyros!

As the month of April dwindled down, our monthly meat share supply did too. We were left with a few random things, including a few pounds of ground lamb. I don't mind lamb, but I don't love it either. I put off using the ground lamb because quite frankly, I didn't know what to do with it. Dan and I once tried making chili out of it, and that was a bad idea. Recently, Grace and Tony mentioned that they made gyros out of ground lamb. Hmm, I had never had gyros but it seemed interesting to me.

I found this recipe just by a google search for lamb gyros. I was looking for one that called for ground lamb.

This is what I found, original recipe here. They were pretty good. I am not posting the photos I took because they look really gross. But, they tasted good. I have an even more interesting (and exotic) idea for the 2 additional pounds of ground lamb that is waiting in our freezer. Stay tuned... hoping to give it a try this weekend.

Lamb Gyros
Serves 4.

1 pound lean ground lamb
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, crushed
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 large tomato, cut in half and then into slices
1 small onion, thinly sliced
4 whole pita pocket breads, cut in half, warmed

In a large bowl, combine lamb, garlic, dried oregano leaves, onion powder, salt and pepper; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into two oval 1/2-inch thick patties.
Place patties on rack in broiler pan so surface of meat is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink, turning once. Carve each patty into thin slices.

Place equal amounts of lamb, tomato and onion in each pita half; serve with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce (recipe below).

Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
8-ounce carton plain low-fat yogurt
1/3 cup seeded, chopped cucumber
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon sugar
In medium bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Serve with Lamb Gyros.

No comments: