Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Butternut Squash Soup

My sister served us this delicious soup from Cooks Illustrated for Easter. I checked out the recipe for myself! It was a great soup to make on a Sunday afternoon and have around for dinner all week. It was really yummy! I will definitely be making this again.


Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion , 3 medium shallots or 1 medium leek (white and light green parts only), chopped (I used an onion)
2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
1 butternut squash , medium (about 2 1/2 pounds), halved, seeded, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 5 cups)
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth (chicken broth for me)
1 teaspoon table salt
ground white pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 - 1 cup whole milk (I used skim milk)
2 teaspoons minced fresh chives or minced parsley (I didn't have either)

Instructions
1. Heat butter or oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and squash; stir-cook until sherry evaporates, about 30 seconds.
2. Add stock, salt, pepper to taste, and ginger to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Ladle squash mixture into blender. Add 3/4 cup milk; blend until very smooth. Return soup to saucepan; cook over low heat until warmed through. If soup is too thick, stir in additional milk to thin consistency. Adjust seasonings. (Soup can be refrigerated for 3 days and reheated just before serving.)
4. Ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with minced chives and serve immediately. (I garnished once with toasted pine nuts, but had it plain the rest of the week. Still yummy!)

No comments: