Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Fun Peanut Butter Cookies

I was seriously craving cookies a few weeks ago. Luckily, I was going to be on my way to my mom and stepdad's house the next day to drop off tax stuff (my stepdad is a CPA and is nice enough to do our taxes every year!!). A batch of thank-you cookies was in order... of course I snagged a few for Dan and I to enjoy before I boxed them up. I browsed through a bunch of blogs looking for something yummy and gooey but couldn't find much that matched the ingredients that I had on-hand. I was in the mood for peanut butter deliciousness (as always), so I decided just to make my usual Peanut Butter Kiss Cookies, but skip the kiss on top since I didn't have any Hershey's kisses. But I DID have chocolate chips, and a few Reese's peanut butter cups!!! I chopped up the PB cups and tossed in a bunch of the chips as well. Yummmm! They were delectable. I love this peanut butter cookie recipe, it is to die for! Betcha can't have just one!

Basic Peanut Butter Cookie batter

Throw in some chopped up Reese's PB cupsDon't forget the chocolate chips!

Ready to go in the oven
Oops... ate one already
These seriously hit the spot


Here is the original PB Kiss Cookie recipe, with my modifications for this batch in parenthesis:

Ingredients
2 2/3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Additional sugar
5 dozen kisses, unwrapped (instead of this, I used about 6 roughly chopped reese's peanut butter cups and a cup of chocolate chips and threw them in the batter)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda. Add butter and peanut butter and mix until smooth. Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth. (I threw the PB cups and choco chips in at this point.)

Make balls out of level tablespoons of dough - add flour if needed. Roll in sugar. (I skipped the rolling in sugar)

Bake 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet for 8 minutes. (I start checking at 5-6 minutes, I like them really gooey!)

Remove from oven and add 1 kiss to the center of each cookie. Return to the oven and bake for 2 more minutes. (I skipped this step since I didn't top with kisses. In fact, even when I do put kisses on these cookies I never put them back in the oven. They get plenty soft just from the heat of the cookies)

3 comments:

Kim said...

how the hell do you remain stick thin mer?! :) yummy!

Mer said...

by giving them away!! my co-workers must hate me for always bringing in sweet stuff!

Anniversary Moments said...

i came across your recipes from kim's blog and just made these cookies the other day -- i love the personal twist you put on the recipes. i had been waiting to make these cookies after drooling all over my computer when i discovered the recipe. they were the perfect after race treat for my first marathon. thanks for sharing and posting such great pictures and directions!!!